Ashwagandha is a herb that has been used in traditional Indian Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. Recently, the herb is getting more and more popular also in the west. This is primarily due to the grounding, calming and restoring qualities this plant has. It is said to be able to reduce stress and promote a calmer and happier sense of being. Studies have found an impressive variety of health benefits of this specific herb. This blog will dive into the 5 health benefits that Ashwagandha can provide to you.
But what exactly is it?
Ashwagandha is a plant that is also known as Withania Somnifera (WS), Indian gensing or winter cherry. It is apoptogenic, which means that it adapts to the needs of your body by balancing hormones and immune cells. In doing this, it creates stability in the body and supports the immune system. It is specifically the root of this plant that has these healing properties. The use of this root can be traced back as far as 3000 years, to Ayurvedic science. This is an ancient Indian medical system that is takes a natural and holistic approach to physical and mental health.
So, what are these health benefits of Ashwagandha?
- It lowers stress levels: One of Ashwagandha’s best known benefits is that it reduces stress levels. By reducing stress, ashwagandha may work as a mood stabilizer and a natural remedy to depression. Furthermore, ashwagandha has to ability to improve sleep, make you less irritability and enhance your overall feeling of wellbeing.
- It increases energy levels: Ashwagandha has a positive impact on heart and lung capacity while increasing energy levels. This is not only useful when you are exercising, but also very helpful for people who are struggling with their energy levels. Ashwagandha could also be useful for those that have fatigue-related problems.
- It boosts the immune system: Ashwagandha is really effective at reducing and regulating the stress hormones in our body. This also means the herb helps to reduce inflammation levels in the body and when inflammation is lowered, our immune system gets a powerful boost.
- It protects our brain: another reason for ashwagandha’s many amazing health benefits is the fact that it is an antioxidant powerhouse. These antioxidants help protect against stress, brain cell degeneration and aging. This powerful herb can even help to promote cell growth and boost memory.
- It is good for the normal functioning of the heart: A fifth health benefit of ashwagandha is that it keeps our blood pressure and sugar levels to stay within a healthy range. This results in a healthy functioning of our heart.